Chelsea Physic Garden is an independent charity, dedicated to demonstrating the medicinal, economic, cultural and environmental importance of plants to the survival and well-being of humankind.
The second oldest botanic garden in England, the Physic Garden was founded by the Worshipful Society of Apothecaries in 1673 for its apprentices to study the “physic” or healing arts , actually the medicinal qualities of plants. The Garden became one of the world’s most important centres of botany and plant exchange.
Tucked away beside the Thames, the Garden continues to be a celebration of the beauty and importance of plants.
See also History of the Garden
The Mission of Chelsea Physic Garden is to:
- demonstrate the medicinal, economic, cultural and environmental importance of plants to the survival and well-being of humankind.
Chelsea Physic Garden carries out this Mission for the public benefit by:
- maintaining documented plant collections in labelled and interpreted displays in a historic botanic garden
- providing programmes of educational activities, publications and events
- demonstrating the development of the science and practice of horticulture, botany and related disciplines through the historical role of the Garden
- promoting the importance of the conservation of plants and the natural environment.
The Garden is honoured to have as its Patron: H.R.H. The Prince of Wales KG, KT, GCB, OM
Learn more about us from our Annual Reports.