Garden Steward Volunteers
In this section
We’re recruiting Garden Stewards Volunteers now!
Are you a people person, dedicated to a high standard of customer service? Would you like to spend time in London’s oldest botanic garden?
We are looking for enthusiastic volunteers to be a welcoming presence to visitors outside in the Garden.
About the role:
Join our existing team of Garden Stewards! You’ll be supporting our existing staff and Volunteer Guides to be a presence in the Garden and to help to give our visitors an unforgettable experience.
Duties could include:
- Helping visitors with general enquiries like way-finding
- Highlighting particular plants or points of interest
- Supporting families with information about hazards in the garden, including poisonous plants
- Supporting Swan Walk Entrance on busy days by welcoming visitors and checking Friends membership
The main visitor season is between April-October. Ideally we are looking to have cover Tuesday – Friday and Sunday, between 11am – 4pm. You will be of most value when the weather is good, flexibility over days and hours of volunteering is possible.
- You will have a friendly smile and take delight in meeting people from all walks of life. You will enjoy being outdoors.
- You will be adaptable and unfazed by challenges. You’ll be comfortable dealing with everyone from local families to big tourist groups, always maintaining the friendly and professional service that we are known for.
- You will enjoy being a part of a small team of staff and volunteers where your contribution matters and you are able to give a regular commitment because it makes a difference to our visitors.
- We will provide full training and ongoing information.
- You don’t need to have an in-depth knowledge of plants but you will develop an interest in the plants and the history of the Garden in order to be able to answer general enquiries.
- You will benefit from complimentary admission to the Garden for yourself and a guest.
- You will be included in regular briefings and have the opportunity to meet other volunteers who support our work in the Garden.
- You’ll also be volunteering in one of the most beautiful gardens in London with a vast and rich history.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for this exciting new role, please email us with “Garden Steward” in the subject heading, setting out why you would like to be a part of the Garden team in no more than 200 words.
Recruitment is ongoing and we look forward to receiving your application!