In this section
We can provide your school, or individual teachers with twilight (£30 per teacher), half day (£54 per teacher), or whole day (£90 per teacher) Continuing Professional Development (CPD), formerly INSET.
‘Growing Understandings’: How to develop, use, enjoy and sustain your school garden as a cross-curricular resource – For Early Years, Key Stage 1 & 2 teachers.‘Growing Understandings’ Summary. This training day will inspire and provide practical activities to transform your school Garden into a Learning Garden as a cross-curricular resource. There will be time to discuss top tips on how to sustain the Garden with the pupils as active participants. The day will include planting advice.
1. To create a seasonal diary of Garden activities
2. To give practical support to learning outside the classroom engaging in simple activities made from recycled and natural materials including ‘Grow your own ‘Shelf Life’ exhibition and Recycled Gardens for wildlife.
3. To incorporate Numeracy, Literacy, Science, Citizenship, Art, Play, History and Geography into your outdoor classroom.
These days will cover Early Years, Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2. All activities and information is relevant to all Key stages.
Cost: £90 per person (including lunch)
For more details, or to book please call 020 7349 6453 or email email@example.com
Other CPD topics include:
1. General environmental education (nature studies) –including habitats, food chains, food webs, plant and animal adaptations, environmental games,
2.’ Literacy in the Landscape’ – using the natural world to study fiction and non-fiction, poetry, vocabulary development, nature diaries, reportage. Further details can be seen in this file:Literacy in the Landscape‘ (Powerpoint/498KB),
3. ‘Numeracy in the Landscape’ – using the natural world to study symmetry, pattern, growth rates, heights, girths, area and more. Further details can be seen in this file: ‘Numeracy in the Landscape‘ (Powerpoint/714KB)
4. ‘Growing Understandings’ – How to develop, use, enjoy and sustain your school garden as a cross-curricular resource.
5.’Cultivating Curiosity’ – all you need to know to set up and maintain an organic school garden/gardening club (the cost of this session is £360 per school, and involves us visiting your school (London only) before and after the session).
These INSETs can be adapted for other Key Stages, if need be.
Ideally, these CPD sessions would be held at Chelsea Physic Garden, but if your school has access to green spaces nearby, we can come to you.
A few words from teachers who have attended our CPD days:
- Excellent and inspiring Very good – lots of useful ideas well related to the age range
- It has given me a wealth of practical ideas to take back to the classroom
- Excellent – a truly secret garden
- Fantastic day and learnt masses
- I will use and adapt my teaching and really make sure that other staff engage with the garden
- Great activities and information
- The hands on aspects and lots of ideas were most valuable.
- Make the day longer to fit even more in.
- Really enjoyed it. Excellent level of knowledge and lots of tips.
- Fantastic session, loads of info and nice to meet and share with others. Great practical activities. Fun!!
For more information please contact the Education Department on 020 7349 6453; fax: 020 7376 3910; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org