World Woodland Garden
In this section
Woodland and wilderness areas have been part of the fabric of Chelsea Physic Garden for over 250 years, and the new Garden will continue this legacy. However unlike previous plantings, the World Woodland Garden will focus on medicinal and useful plants from forest environments around the world.
The new Garden is divided into three sections, the northern portion will display species from North American woodlands, while the mid-section will demonstrate plants from Europe. The southern section will house species from East Asia, Each region will demonstrate the traditional and modern uses of various forest species including trees, shrubs, perennials, annuals and bulbs.
Features of the new Garden
- 150 new plants will be added to the Garden’s collection
- 15 wild species of Galanthus will be woven through the planting, adding to the Garden’s existing snowdrop collection
- A serpentine path will guide you around the Garden, reminiscent of the wilderness area that occupied this part of the Garden in the 1700s
- Gathering spaces allowing our tour guides to present the collection
- Low earth banks to divide the three geographic regions and provide a sense of closure
- An oak pergola will link the World Woodland Garden to the existing wooded areas, creating a 1/2 acre micro-forest.
The World Woodland Garden will be open on 1 April 2015, and we look forward to welcoming visitors to discover the woodland plantings which have been used for millennia to cure ills, feed us and provide shelter.